Wednesday, January 18, 2012

....Goals, Motivation, Goals, Motivation....

I want to talk about Goals and Motivation today. Besides trying to focus my life and my time to be incredibly productive, I need to start making clear and attainable goals. I also feel a lot of motivation right now that I want to utilize and make the most of.

goal
[gohl] noun
1. the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end.
2. the terminal point in a race.
3. a pole, line, or other marker by which such a point is indicated.


my readers should note that I would have used a wikipedia definition but today is the Wikipedia Blackout.

So, I'm going to use this definition to make three simple goals that I am going to work towards in respect to health and fitness. Simple enough right? But I need to be careful that I don't make something is measurable or I won't ever know for sure that I've made my goals. I need to also be cautious so that my goals are too low or too high. There needs to be balance or I won't push myself hard enough but it cannot be unattainable or unrealistic because I will give up out of frustration.

...the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end.
1. maintain a healthy and active lifestyle
This is a pretty basic goal. I want this to be a lifestyle change not a temporary fix. This is the goal that isn't all that measurable other than how I feel I am doing. I can tell I've made steps in the right directions and that my body feels better for it. I need to continue you that so I never really know what it's like to eat buffalo wings til I'm stuffed.

...the terminal point in a race.
2. Complete all the obstacles and finish the Merrell Down and Dirty Mud Run on May 20th
I didn't just pick this because the definition includes the word race. I picked it because it's something I will be doing soon that requires full body strength and consistent training (and jumping in mud). Since my end game is a healthy lifestyle, there is no terminal point or ending to this journey.

...a pole, line, or other marker by which such a point is indicated.
3. Lose 12% Bodyfat in the next 6 months
I measured by body fat at the beginning of my XSport Fitness Orientation. Here's the catch. I forgot the number, but it is written down. So there's potential to get the number or start from today. I haven't decided which to do. The point is that I'm more comfortable putting my goal in something like body fat percentage than weight. I could lose weight but have it be muscle mass and that's not the direction I want to go. So it the interest of staying on the path I chose, I am using body fat % to guide my goals. Apologies to my boyfriend Dan who saw the word pole and thought I'd be taking pole dancing lessons.

The next thing I want to get into is Motivation for obvious reasons. Goal are only achieved given the opportunity mixed with the right amount of dedication and determination which also comes more people who motivate us.

Motivation
mo·ti·va·tion [moh-tuh-vey-shuhn] noun
1. the act or an instance of motivating, or providing with a reason to act in a certain way.
2.the state or condition of being motivated.
3. something that motivates; inducement; incentive.


I find a lot of motivation from the great people in my life; a good friend and blogger Stina and a hardly-ever blogs but still call him my boyfriend, Daniel. While their support (and the support of others) is amazing, I still can't ride my mind of doubts while I workout. But I find that images are also very helpful when trying to dig for motivation. Here are some of my favorites.












No comments:

Post a Comment